Breakfast Strata Recipe
By July 29, 2012Published:
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 3 hrs 0 min
Source: Cathy Reinhardt (Memaw)
- 6 slices bread
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheese whatever cheese you choose
- 7 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- In a greased 3 qt. (9x13) oblong baking dish, place 6 slices of bread.
(Note: original recipe says to break up bread and spread in a 10x16x1/2" casserole dish. I use the Pyrex 3 qt. dish and do not break up the bread.)
- Brown sausage. Drain off excess fat. Stir in mustard.
- Spoon sausage evenly over bread and sprinkle with cheese.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cheese and sausage.
- Allow to sit for a couple of hours or overnight in fridge.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until puffy and lightly brown.
- Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. Defrost before baking.