Chicken Paella Recipe
By July 30, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 paella dish (6 Servings)
- Prep: 30-45 mins
- Cook: 30-45 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
- 4 chicken breasts cubed, floured
- 2 cups medium-grained rice
- 4 cups chicken broth (32 ounces)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped (1/2 inch or less)
- 1 red bell pepper cut into ribbons
- 1 small can peas
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- Olive Oil
- cayenne pepper
- Heat the paella pan with an olive oil layer in the pan. Add chicken once hot and fry for 15 min until cooked and browned. Move chicken to a bowl leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add chopped onion & chopped garlic to pan. After 5 min, add the diced tomatoes. After another 5 min, mash the tomatoes with the spoon or skimmer so they lose their shape. Add green peppers and let sizzle for a minute. Add rice to the pan and spread it around. Make sure the rice is coated in a layer of olive oil (add oil if needed). This helps the rice maintain its shape while cooking. Add chicken and broth.
- In a mortar, mash a pinch of garlic, parsley and saffron with a little bit of salt. Optional is addition of ground cayenne pepper to the mixture (+/- 1/2 table spoon). Use a few spoonfuls of warm water to collect the mashed spices in a bath. Spill the mixture on the paella pan and shake the pan so it spreads throughout.
- After about 5 min, decorate the paella with the the peas and then push the red pepper ribbons on top. Cook until the broth is reduced by half and the rice is still firm but not done. The rice will continue to cook after being removed from the heat.
- Tip: Always spread out contents of the pan and fully utilize the space so everything cooks together. Shake the pan for moving contents around. Rotate the pan as needed over the heat.